Have you ever felt like your employees aren’t motivated, engaged or productive enough?
HOW do you increase your employees’ performance, productivity, and engagement?
Creating an environment for effective communication is a big part of creating a workplace where employees are empowered to do the work they excel at. The key to a productive, engaged, and positive workplace is to have frequent and meaningful Core Conversations following these five steps:
1) The decision maker writes down her or his concise, short term need.
She or he asks for questions for clarification. She or he revises in writing where necessary.
2) The decision maker asks, “What would be the ideal outcome here?”
She or he facilitates a deliberate discussion to identify the collective answer, mandating options, alternatives (and even dissent – “If we HAD to think about what would derail us, what would it be?”). Push for a more profound outcome (it’s usually attainable). Once the ideal outcome is determined, write it down.
3) Via discussion, the team proposes to the decision maker a series of objectives to achieve the ideal outcome.
The decision maker provides fine-tuning feedback. Once agreed to, write the objectives down. If the team determines that some people aren’t needed to meet objectives – or if others are – reconstitute the team.
4) Each team member determines what work they should do (not merely could or would do) so that objectives will be met.
Each team member creates her or his own measurable action items due by certain dates. Write down all the action items, who is doing them, and their due dates. The decision maker asks, “How can we go faster without adding undue stress?” Revise dates.
5) Going forward: decision makers frequently check in with team members so that they can ask for help on their action items and decision makers can provide it.
Following this 5 steps you EMPOWER all teammates to make sure discussions provide all members with input opportunities which in turn secures buy-in.
Empower employees to do
Meaningful work that creates measurable value
People – teammates, leaders and organizations – who operate with integrity and in whom they believe.
Offer feedback – constant, concise, clearcut coaching.
Weigh their contributions and progress frequently.
Excite them by what you and your organization stand for, and
Recognize them often for excellent work.